Sunday, April 25, 2010

surprised myself...


Wow...what a day, I managed not to die during the TC 10K (didn't hit the inhailer once...so proud!)  It was a sleepy start to the day, couldn't find my team (classic), but I did run into my good friend Erin, who like myself, was running her first 10K...well done my friend!

I had a goal before the race started, run 6 minutes, walk 1 minute, keep the pace; as I crossed the start line I started the timer on my watch and the soundtrack to GLEE Vol.1 on my ipod (for the record, I should have had a better selection of 'run' tunes, but you use what you know...squeee to GLEE!)

I got into a rhythm right away, it was kind of fun, trying not to trip others, or myself, shimmying into the thick of it, passing some people, being passed by others...pretty cool.  Before I knew it, 10 minutes had passed and I hadn't started to walk yet and I thought, "hmmm....i feel pretty good, maybe I'll keep going", suddenly 40 minutes had elapsed and I was at Kilometer 6 and I just HAD to change the tunes, so I allowed myself a three minute walking hiatus to put on something a little jazzier than "Dancing with Myself" by Artie from the cast of GLEE.

After that I finished pretty strong, even got a little misty at Kilometer 9...I had never run a full 10K before, I have to say, it felt pretty damn good.  I finished with a pretty respectable time of 63 minutes (considering my first training run was on Monday at the beginning of the week, I feel a HUGE sense of accomplishment).

It was a good day, looking forward to my first trail run in May...if the knot in my calf ever goes away.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing, Chrissy! Good for you. I'm so glad I saw you at the beginning. Wish I was there to cheer you on at the end (was about 15 min behind)

    I wanted to run for 12, walk for 1 and ended up running way longer than that. I feel so good! It wasn't the fastest time, but after all those years of convincing myself I hated running and couldn't run and that I was too fat and had no stamina, it felt pretty damn fantastic to run across that finish line (so I'm not fast, but I can keep a steady pace... and I'll do better next year!) When I saw my sister waving and cheering for me, I burst into tears. Was a blubbering mess when I finally collapsed into the drinks tent!

    Well done, us. We should get together for girly drinks to celebrate.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go chrissy! Good job to all of you who ran/walked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty damned good Chrissy! My sister walked it and her time was pretty good too considering she walked.

    ReplyDelete